[Wikimedia-l] proposed urgent Board of Trustees resolution without a meeting

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 15:33:04 UTC 2012

Federico,

Thank you for your very helpful reply. I'm sorry, I didn't realize
that Glassdoor.com results were client location specific. You can use
a proxy terminating in the U.S. to read about Wikimedia Foundation
employee satisfaction and compensation relative to other San Francisco
technology firms.

> Your proposal has already been implemented in 2010:
> «All Wikimedia fundraising activities must aim to raise the maximum
> possible amount of money [...]»
> <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Developing_Scenarios_for_future_of_fundraising>
> «Fundraising activities in the Wikimedia movement should generally be
> directed at achieving the highest possible overall financial support [...]»
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Wikimedia_fundraising_principles

This is most helpful for allowing fundraising to continue without the
need for a Board resolution without a meeting, or for more specific
trustee candidate questions if it does not.

> Are you asking to amend
> <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Delegations_of_Financial_and_Spending_Authority>

Is there any reason that subsequent specific direction can not be
provided without amending that resolution?

> Are you asking to amend
> <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Vote:Narrowing_Focus>?

Not necessarily, but I am asking that it be reconsidered after
community consultation. That resolution was approved without a widely
announced community discussion, which is so completely unprecedented
for a change of that magnitude that I could not believe it at the
time. The comments at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Sue_Gardner/Narrowing_focus
show that the Foundation staff and trustees are very much opposed to
the opinions of the few members of the community who found that page
in time to comment.

For that reason I will be recommending specific community initiatives
during next year's Board elections.

Best regards,
James Salsman