[Wikimedia-l] Translation of documents [was: Request for consultation on proposed guidelines relating to potential conflicts of interest in requesting Wikimedia resources]

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 16:02:20 UTC 2012

Christophe Henner, 21/12/2012 16:43:
> Well, feels weird to see french as 1st priority frankly.

That's an old proposal meant to start a discussion, it gives some criteria.

> That said, I would rather have a document with a medium quality
> translation for all languages possible rather than a very good in 14
> languages :)
>
> Wouldn't the solution I mentionned, automated translation through
> Google Translate, be a good way to do that? And we could of course top
> the automated system with a human one for the most "important"
> language.

I don't see the point of the proposal. I'm quite sure people are able to
use Google Translate themselves, and the Translate extension already
provides machine translation features.
<http://laxstrom.name/blag/2012/09/07/translation-memory-all-wikimedia-wikis/>
Not to mention that /reading/ a document is not enough to actively
engage in (the discussion about) it, someone should be listening...

Nemo