[Wikimedia-l] Translation of documents [was: Request for consultation on proposed guidelines relating to potential conflicts of interest in requesting Wikimedia resources]

Christophe Henner christophe.henner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 15:43:16 UTC 2012

On 21 December 2012 16:36, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Christophe Henner, 21/12/2012 16:27:
>
>> I understand it's frustrating to have these texts only in english, but
>> could you also please try to get things from WMF perspective?
>>
>> In what languages should it translated? The most spoken in the world?
>> The top 10 active communities? The top 10 editing community? The top
>> 10 growing community? All of them? And if they pick 10 languages, it
>> won't end the moaning.
>

> Moot argument. Priorities for languages could and should be set, if someone
> cared about it.
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications_subcommittees/Trans/Core_set_of_languages>
>
> Nemo

Well, feels weird to see french as 1st priority frankly.

That said, I would rather have a document with a medium quality
translation for all languages possible rather than a very good in 14
languages :)

Wouldn't the solution I mentionned, automated translation through
Google Translate, be a good way to do that? And we could of course top
the automated system with a human one for the most "important"
language.

--
Christophe