[Wikimedia-l] Fundraising updates?

Zack Exley zexley at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 17 16:09:54 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2012 3:37 PM, "Zack Exley" <zexley at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > Since we took banners down for everyone, we've
> > mostly been displaying them only 1 or 2 times to people who've never seen
> > them. Though yesterday we pushed that up to 10 because we're hoping to
> > reach our US$25 million goal in the next few days.
>
> Obviously it's early, but that change doesn't seem to have caused a
> noticeable break from the existing trend on the fundraising graph.

The graph can be misleading because it counts email revenue too. Over
several days that we were just showing 2 banners to new people, we were
seeing a steady decline in revenue each day. We don't where that will
bottom out -- whether at $50K per day or $1000 per day. The answer to that
question will have a big impact on our fundraiser for next year.

> Have you
> been gathering data on how banners perform on the first, second, third,
> etc. time of viewing?

Yes, we have some data, but it's noisy and confusing. But the overall
picture is that when we turn on banners, a huge majority of donors are
giving upon their first banner view. Everyday, the distribution spreads
out. After a week of solid banners it was more like 50% of donations came
after the first banner view -- and most of the rest coming before the 10th
banner view.

> Presumably the same cookies that let you stop banners
> after a certain number of views would let you gather such data. If so, what
> kind of an increase were you expecting to see?

Zack Exley
Chief Revenue Officer
Wikimedia Foundation
415 506 9225