[Wikimedia-l] "Wikipedia in the classroom" in Guarani language

Osmar Valdebenito osmar at wikimediachile.cl
Mon Dec 17 12:32:59 UTC 2012

I totally agree with you. That's why we also had activities with native
speakers of Guarani, Aymara and Mapudungun in Buenos Aires teaching them
about Wikipedia and now we are giving another step. We are not saying that
with "Wikipedia in the classroom" everything is done.

We, as Iberocoop members, have discussed the approach with indigenous
languages in different opportunities (especially in Iberoconf 2012 in
Santiago) and we know that chapters should help the communities to develop
their own projects, and not replace them, considering none of us are native
speakers. Of course, I have learnt (in my case) some Mapudungun and I can
help editing, but it is not our goal. Wikimedia Venezuela has been doing a
great job with Wayuunaki speakers and also Wikimedia Mexico with different
languages (I'm not sure and probably Iván can correct me, but I think the
Yucatec was one of them). Wikimedia Chile contacted several Mapuche
organizations for the development of the Mapudungun Wikipedia and Wikimedia
Argentina has been doing the same in the past years.

Osmar Valdebenito G.