[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Re: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Sun Dec 2 18:33:29 UTC 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 10:32:46 -0800
From: Quim Gil <qgil at wikimedia.org>
To: maps-l at lists.wikimedia.org
CC: Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk>

Hi,

On 12/02/2012 12:03 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> I would suggest piggy-backing this on OSM's annual State of the Map' event.

Piggy-backing on bigger events is generally a good idea for small
hackfests with a good % of pure volunteers.

However, as for today the State of the Map conference doesn't even have
time/location defined, but it's quite certain that it will be in 2H
2013. Within the February-March time frame suggested by Erik there are
options like

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FOSDEM
Feb 2-3 @ Brussels (Belgium)

OSM got a booth en previous years. No idea about 2013 but FOSDEM is
anyway a good pole of attraction for all kind of FLOSS developers -
ourselves included. In fact we are trying to build critical mass around
this event - see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Events/FOSDEM

Sadly there is no geolocation DevRoom but if both projects want to
organize something right before the event (e.g Friday, Feb 1st)...

Later than that other options could be

* http://whereconf.com/where2012 San Francisco, April 2-4.
* http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Linuxtag Berlin, May 22-25.
* http://wherecamp.de/ Berlin, probably June.

The OSM project has more events listed at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Events but there are no 2013 events
listed right now?

There is also http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Conferences but most of
those events happen in 2H 2013.

What about a combo around FOSDEM and Where Conference, focusing each on
EU/US communities with a few privileged sponsored contributors able to
attend and connect both?

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator