[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Indigenous Languages

JP Béland lebo.beland at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 15:56:17 UTC 2012

Good day,

What you say is obviously right. Here's what I have written for the
approach strategy in the Canada Strategy Plan to Reach Aboriginal
Communities, but is generic enough to apply pretty much everywhere: To
achieve success we need to not force our approach to potential
partners, but enhance their own goals by the use of Wikimedia
projects, primarily Wikipedia. Since using the languages on a
every-day basis and at school is the best solution to save them, the
focus of project cannot be solely on Wikipedia, but preferably with
Wikipedia as a tool in an overall community-based project. The key
thing to remember no matter what's the chosen approach is the
importance of making it simple for the Native contributors.

So, the ideal solution in my view would be to join existing
initiatives and projects within indigenous communities and show them
how Wikimedia projects offer a low-cost option to achieve their goals.
However, I think by actively seeking cooperation with and showing them
opportunities, we may be the spark that they need to start a
community-based project.

Here`s the strategy plan I was talking about for the Canadian project:
http://wikimedia.ca/wiki/Projects/Aboriginal_communities_outreach

Again, thanks for your input and this is definetly something everybody
involved need to keep in mind.

Wela'lin (thanks in Mi'kmaq),
JP