[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Indigenous Languages

M. Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 06:41:21 UTC 2012

I think it is important to add that all initiatives should be, as much as
possible, driven by indigenous people themselves and their priorities,
rather than consist of non-speakers, non-community members doing things
"for them" or "on their behalf".

If we want to talk about "stakeholders", let's please remember that the
_native_ speakers (not people learning the language as a hobby) are the
main stakeholders, they should be making the decisions as much as possible
and they should be creating the major part of the content; the rest of us
should be in "support positions".

Anything else, especially as part of a large international organization
rooted in a western society (Wikipedia was born in the US in a circle of
non-indigenous people, and most of the major people in our movement are not
indigenous), would be likely to receive only lukewarm support from
indigenous communities.

Lots of similar initiatives from lots of organizations and governments have
languished with little support from native speakers due to the same
paternalistic attitudes that are created time and time again. One example I
would like to share of this happening within our own movement is that of
certain people who create hundreds of pages in a language they barely speak
at incubator, on behalf of some idealized group of "native speakers",  and
then when the native speakers actually arrive, shouting them down or
telling them why their views are not valid (the indigenous person in their
mind was more "noble" and "exotic" and "special" than the real one,
perhaps?). This has actually happened a lot in Wikipedias created before
the incubation process existed (Nahuatl Wikipedia saw it happen multiple
times, Uyghur Wikipedia saw it happen at one point, countless others where
"hobbyists" shot down real native speakers).

Just some thoughts.