[Wikimedia-l] Fund-raising goal questions

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Tue Aug 21 03:44:09 UTC 2012

Megan Hernandez wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:19 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>> How is the fund-raising goal determined each year?
>>

> The fund-raising goal is determined by the amount of money needed to fund
> the budget with consultation with the payment processing chapters.
>

>> Is there a fund-raising goal set for the upcoming fund-raiser (the one
>> beginning in November 2012)?
>>

> The goal is to raise $39.5 million USD via the Wikimedia Foundation and the
> payment processing chapters over the 2012-2013 fiscal year, most of which
> will be raised during the campaign at the end of the year.
>

>> Is there a guideline or policy regarding what happens once the fund-raising
>> goal is met?
>>

> The guideline is to start the fundraiser at the latest possible date that
> will allow the Wikimedia Foundation and the payment processing chapters to
> meet the fundraising goal.  The plan is then to stop the fundraiser on
> December 31 at midnight PST.  We do not attempt to stop the fundraiser once
> the goal is met as it is hard to measure with money coming in from around
> the world in many different forms of payment, so it is best to just keep
> the fundraiser running until December 31 to make sure we have meet our
> fundraising goal.

Hi.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it.

I hope you don't mind, but I've copied your answers to a generic fundraising
FAQ page here: <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/FAQ>. I saw that
at least one past fundraiser had a year-specific "Community FAQ", but I
didn't see a generic FAQ page anywhere. I feel like this would be a good
place to have questions such as "How can I contact the fundraising team?"
where the answers aren't tied to a particular year.

Thanks again for the insights into how the goals are set and met.

MZMcBride

P.S. I happened to notice at <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising>
that the "Chapter Fundraising Agreement" is not public (looks like it's
hosted on internal.wikimedia.org). Do you know who I'd talk to about why
this is and how this could be made public? I'm not sure what the background
to this is (if there's been past discussion on this list, even) or who to
ask.