[Wikimedia-l] Side discussion: Volunteer time is precious Re: Articles for Creation broken

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 20 05:08:39 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:48:29AM +0100, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Katie Chan <ktc at ktchan.info> wrote:
>
> > On 19/08/2012 11:04, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
> >
> >> I currently see 370 submissions pending. Does this mean that someone has
> >> processed 700 articles since the beginning of this thread, or am I looking
> >> at the wrong thing?
> >>

> > More than one someone, but you're looking at the right thing.
>

> Sounds like the "someones" have done some hard volunteer work there ... and
> are probably due some thanks.

Good plan. At the same time, here's a not-so common question: Is their level of effort sustainable?

Just because we get it for free, doesn't mean volunteer time isn't precious. It'd be interesting to go through
all our processes and see where we can make them more efficient, thus freeing up those same volunteer for other things.
(in theory;-)

Yes I know that volunteer time isn't 100% fungible, but saving volunteers time certainly won't hurt editor
retention or process throughput. ;-)

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning