[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia redefined -- typography and UX and such

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 17 14:47:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> On 8/17/12 12:02 PM, Magnus Manske wrote:
>>
>> http://toolserver.org/~magnus/redefined/?page=Pyramid
>

> This is quite nice, especially on a larger screen! Our current layout, which
> uses the full browser width for text, makes articles hard to read and
> cluttered-looking on larger screens. The text column with images and ToC in
> the sidebar is a nice change. Though on the other hand, I do like flowing
> text around images below some with threshold. When reading on a smaller
> screen, with this layout you can end up with a very narrow text column down
> the middle. But overall I like it. The only thing I'd really want is some
> way to get to more of the functionality. For example, I can't find how to
> view edit history.

Thanks! This is just a demo, most functionality is missing; no point
in implementing all of it unless there's a potential long-term user
and developer base :-)

That said, it uses only the MediaWiki API, so it can run anywhere,
even on a blank page served by Wikipedia, in the far future, when
there is no more server-side full-page rendering...

It's pretty useless on mobile devices, but then we have a nice mobile
interface; this whole auto-collapse-on-mobile thing only goes so far,
IMHO.

Upshot: Unless I get at least, say, five people who'd help debug it,
and at least one person who'd help coding, I'm not going to add more
functions to it. Also, the "redefined" people might sue me for
stealing their layout proposal ;-)

Magnus