[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia redefined -- typography and UX and such

Cristian Consonni kikkocristian at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 13:22:11 UTC 2012

2012/8/17 Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com>:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Denny Vrandečić
> <denny.vrandecic at wikimedia.de> wrote:
>> Yes, it would be nice if it was easier to change Wikipedia.
>
> http://toolserver.org/~magnus/redefined/?page=Pyramid

Oh my goodness, Magnus. Is it that easy for you?
There's some room for improvement (e.g. the positioning of images) but
I like a lot the result =)

That said I think the biggest idea in that proposal are two:
* maybe we need a "read" mode and an edit mode to be better separated,
it's of little use to have buttons and tools for
interaction/editing/statistic purposes if I want only to read. We
should keep that in mind also while developing the interface for
mobile apps. (and I actually like a lot the current Wikipedia app on
Android, because you can only read but you read it extremely well even
on that small screen because there are just the things you actually
want to read.
* maybe the big point is "we try to make the process of designing and
implementing an interface for Wikipedia easier and we see with what
people come out".
* (even more difficult, and maybe impractical for some reasons) we
should leave to the users the possibility to tweak some elements of
the design of the Wikipedia they are reading (I'm thinking about: *
show/hide this * magnify that, etc.)

Cristian