[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia redefined -- typography and UX and such

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 22:23:17 UTC 2012

Never having been to design school like Amir, I can't comment on what grade
it might get. But I do like it a lot; I think it's a serious improvement
over what we use now, and incorporates design principles that we should
adopt even if we don't take the design itself. The visual elements, the
better branding and identification of sister projects, and the modern feel
/ look are all elements that can be adapted.

I'd love to see more of these complete redesign proposals with a
professional feel. The current "2012 main page redesign" proposals are
almost uniformly amateurish, and many make only the most minimal
adjustments. More importantly, they are aimed only at the main page - what
needs to be updated is really the entire thing. 10 years on and the editing
interface is still shit, and the design is still aimed at satisfying lowest
common denominator concerns. Time for a new approach, if only Wikimedia had
a Steve Jobs on staff.