[Wikimedia-l] Should we lock StrategyWiki?

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 10:45:03 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Keegan Peterzell <keegan.wiki at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would like to see this become an open part of Meta.  It is traditional
> > meta-work, and rewarding to improve and revisit regularly.
>
> I disagree.  Strategy work is Wikimedia Foundation's focus planning. Meta
> is Wikimedia projects.  I think it's important to delineate the two.

Have you reread the proposals on the Strategy wiki recently?  Most are by
and about the projects.

You can argue over whether the 5-yr strategic plan that was based on that
work in 2010 was simply for the WMF's part in the movement, or for the
movement as a whole...  But the vast majority of the work done there was
thinking and planning for the future of the projects.  Which is
traditionally Meta material.

I agree that different organizations drawing from shared strategic
brainstorming should clearly delineate their plans from those of other
groups in the movement.  That doesn't require a different wiki for every
organization with a plan.  A simple style guide for plans should suffice.

Sam.