[Wikimedia-l] Outage: what I'm telling the press

Oliver Keyes okeyes at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 6 16:46:37 UTC 2012

Verify what David said (I'm not technical, but it matches the description
I've been given). Our ops guys and girls are currently poking things, which
is slowing down a larger/more official announcement, but I'll see what I
can do.

On 6 August 2012 17:02, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> ... so I might as well tell you too. Info gathered by joggling the
> elbows of the people on #wikimedia-tech actually doing the work:
>
> This was two overland cables between Tampa and Virginia (Washington
> DC, to be precise). *Both* cables were cut, near the Tampa end. The
> "redundant" fibre wasn't redundant. Currently awaiting the vendor
> postmortem.
>
> The cables were broken for 1 hour 6 minutes, but it's taken another
> hour to bring up basic service. Some stuff's still broken. Search and
> API (hence mobile) are back now. It'll all be back in due course.
>
> The WMF office in San Francisco should be getting into work in the
> next hour or so ... should have more detail then.
>

> - d.

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development
Wikimedia Foundation