[Wikimedia-l] Outage: what I'm telling the press

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 16:02:41 UTC 2012

... so I might as well tell you too. Info gathered by joggling the
elbows of the people on #wikimedia-tech actually doing the work:

This was two overland cables between Tampa and Virginia (Washington
DC, to be precise). *Both* cables were cut, near the Tampa end. The
"redundant" fibre wasn't redundant. Currently awaiting the vendor
postmortem.

The cables were broken for 1 hour 6 minutes, but it's taken another
hour to bring up basic service. Some stuff's still broken. Search and
API (hence mobile) are back now. It'll all be back in due course.

The WMF office in San Francisco should be getting into work in the
next hour or so ... should have more detail then.

- d.