[Wikimedia-l] ombudsmen commission

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 13:57:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 03:52, Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez at gmail.com> wrote:

> It really amazes me how much we distrust the people who have been
> doing a great work (otrs admins, ombudsmen, etc).

I'm going to suggest a "benefit of the doubt response" and wonder
aloud whether it's more to do with what we've come to expect.

Most of us start as editors and we become aware that our every
contribution is logged and publicly available for scrutiny. That is of
tremendous use to us as editors.

So maybe it's just that we all started in that environment and see the
value of that and then we tend to carry over those thoughts into every
aspect of what happens on the wikis.

It may not be achievable, desirable or necessary to have access to
that level of monitoring/review for everything else (I know nothing of
OTRS and/or ombudsmen), I'm just suggesting why these questions may
arise: a cultural thing, if you like.

Bodnotbod