[Wikimedia-l] Facebook goes turncoat on the "squash internet freedom" battle.

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 19:32:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
<cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Mono <monomium at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Well, piracy is illegal and piracy stems from file sharing...

>>> --
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> I've heard that pirates also use the Internet. We need to get rid of
>> that thing immediately.
>>
>> Wait! What if they burn CDs/DVDs/Blu-Rays? We need to get rid of all
>> those blank discs, right now!
>>
>> And hey wait, they all breathe, too! If we just stop people from
>> breathing, we can put an end to it.
>>
>> Just because a technology is used to break the law doesn't mean it's
>> responsible for the lawbreaking. Filesharing networks are no more
>> responsible for piracy than the telephone company is responsible for a
>> person calling in a bomb threat.
>>

> So what's our game-plan? Don't please start arguing about the small
> stuff. This is massive!
>
> I probably shouldn't even say this, but the foundation will look like a
> massive prat, totally wrongfooted -- and grandstanding with all the
> talk our spokespersons let slip out of their mouths after SOPA
> went down, if they now pass CISPA, which is ten times worse.
>
> I've read the law, and it isn't pretty...

> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, ~ [[User:Cimon Avaro]]

Would it be possible to get enough other sites behind another protest?
The last one didn't succeed just because of Wikipedia, it succeeded
because there were so many. Facebook didn't do squat anyway, so nobody
cares about them, but Google and Reddit are a different story. Just
the threat of another protest (especially with a "They apparently
didn't listen" theme), this close to elections, might be enough to put
them off this one. It'll have to be something that shows they can't
just wait a couple months and try again.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.