[Wikimedia-l] Travel Guide Wiki

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Thu Apr 12 12:15:28 UTC 2012

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:04:27 +0200, Mark Jaroski wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:41, Thomas Morton
> <morton.thomas at googlemail.com>wrote:

>> So in summary I don't see that there is any real difference in our
>> stance
>> on this - it might just need a bit of rethinking.
>>

> We'd like to express it as "Traveller's Point of View".

My point, which is different from Thomas's point (my kids actually
liked Jorwik anyway) is that you do not have a single "Traveller's Point
of View". One has a 'budget traveler point of view', a 'wealthy
traveller point of view', a "traveller with children point of view", an
'off-the-beaten-track traveller point of view', a 'tour traveller point
of view' and so on. IRL, we know that a budget traveller will read LP or
a Rough Guide, and a tour traveller will buy smth like "Polyglott" or a
similar English Language series. In terms of the online travel guide,
this could mean having several pages on the same city - like 'Barcelona
on a budget' and 'Barcelona on a package tour'. And there we start
having troubles with content forking, undefined boundaries etc. On the
other hand, bumping everything in the single Barcelona page would make
it very much unreadable - if I go to Barcelona, I want a list rated by
someone I trust, not an unrated list whioch includes everything.

I assume these problems should be well-known in the WT community since
these are basic things every travel writer encounters, but I am still in
doubt what and how are these issues compatible with WMF.

Cheers
Yaroslav