[Wikimedia-l] Travel Guide Wiki

Mark Jaroski mark.jaroski at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 09:12:38 UTC 2012

Hi Rupert,

The current hosting provider (who also own a trademark on the site name,
and the right to place advertisements on the site) have become unresponsive
to requests for server maintenance and especially software upgrades,
feature requests, etc.

Speaking for myself, one of the main interests I had in working on the
guide had become collaborating on Mediawiki code to implement these
features. Because this has been a non-starter for some time I haven't been
participating much at all. I still do some maintenance of the Paris guides,
but that's about it.

So, the community seems to be about ready to find a new hosting provider,
and because of IP issues that probably means a new name. I think most of us
don't particularly want to look back at the decisions which were taken to
get us into this position in the first place (the Wikivoyage folks might
have a very different take there).

In our semi-private discussions which lead to the topic appearing on this
list and on Meta the major issues that people have had are making sure we
keep TPOV and with trying to come up with a decent name.

thanks!

-mark