[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: "Free Culture Conservancy" exploratory meeting in NY, April 12th.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:54:56 UTC 2012

On 10 April 2012 13:42, Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk> wrote:

> a) acquire copyrights (probably by bequest) in order to freely license them;
> b) act as a clearinghouse to support "selling" the free licensing of
> creative works (we pay you $1,000, you release your novel as CC-BY-SA)
> c) support people contesting dubious takedown notices
> d) support and train people in freely licensing their own work
> (distribution logistics, negotiating with publishers, etc)

There are people trying to do this with out-of-print science fiction,
for example. AIUI, one of the big problems is author's estates with
wild ideas of what an out-of-print midlist novel from the 1960s is
actually worth (demanding ~$100k, etc). It's a tricky one. But
successes would presumably snowball.

- d.