[Wikimedia-l] Wiki Travel Guide

Peter Coombe thewub.wiki at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 10 11:48:54 UTC 2012

On 10 April 2012 05:32, Strainu <strainu10 at gmail.com> wrote:
> În data de 9 aprilie 2012, 21:17, Ziko van Dijk
> <vandijk at wmnederland.nl> a scris:
>> One might get problems with policies such as NOR and NPOV. I suppose
>> that they should be applied on Wiki Travel Guide, as on Wikipedia,
>> Wikibooks and other Wikimedia sites.
>
> If using these as they are now would be a precondition for hosting the
> project at wikimedia, then Wikivoyage is better of on its own. I'm not
> that familiar with the rules of these different sites, but the
> articles did not strike me as extremely neutral - but not clearly
> partisan either. Most of them are very near that balance that makes
> them appealing to a large public while keeping them serious.

No Original Research shouldn't be an issue, we already have Wikinews
accepting original reporting.

Neutral Point of View might be a more delicate area. You probably
couldn't write a travel guide using the same standards of NPOV as used
on Wikipedia, and if you could it would most likely be very dull. As
far as I know all the existing projects follow some form of NPOV, but
it isn't actually enshrined in the Foundation's mission statement,
vision or values.

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mission_statement
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Vision
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Values