[Wikimedia-l] Wiki Travel Guide

Strainu strainu10 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 04:32:15 UTC 2012

În data de 9 aprilie 2012, 21:17, Ziko van Dijk
<vandijk at wmnederland.nl> a scris:
> One might get problems with policies such as NOR and NPOV. I suppose
> that they should be applied on Wiki Travel Guide, as on Wikipedia,
> Wikibooks and other Wikimedia sites.

If using these as they are now would be a precondition for hosting the
project at wikimedia, then Wikivoyage is better of on its own. I'm not
that familiar with the rules of these different sites, but the
articles did not strike me as extremely neutral - but not clearly
partisan either. Most of them are very near that balance that makes
them appealing to a large public while keeping them serious.

În data de 9 aprilie 2012, 20:49, Juergen Fenn
<schneeschmelze at googlemail.com> a scris:

> As I've just written on the talk page there: Frankly speaking, I don't
> think we need another wiki on travelling as there already is
> Wikivoyage.

Splitting is indeed a bad idea.

În data de 10 aprilie 2012, 02:17, James Heilman <jmh649 at gmail.com> a scris:
>  There is reasons why the English community does not simply
> rejoin the German community at WikiVoyage.

Splitting on language barriers is even worse :) I understand you guys
already have a German NGO, which, as I've come to know, offers many
advantages for European users over an American one. But the truth is
the WMF has an extensive expertise on running MediaWiki-based websites
and you would always have the latest version of the software and
acceptable support from the developers. Plus, the single sign-on would
also help with participation.

Perhaps your contributors would be interested in some kind of
collaboration scheme, were the WMF would host the site? The idea has
been brought up on this list some time ago for Citizendium, why could
we not apply it for other projects? I think this would also fit with
the WMF's intention to broaden the types of affiliation it allows.

Regards,
  Strainu