[Foundation-l] Board of Trustees resolutions

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 05:47:57 UTC 2012

Dear all,

The Board of Trustees had a meeting this weekend in conjunction with
the Wikimedia chapters conference held in Berlin. As an outcome of the
meeting we discussed and passed nine resolutions, which are published
here:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolutions

* "Recognizing models of affiliation", and "Affiliations committee"
are related to the movement roles project
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles) and are in response to
that group's final recommendations. These resolutions recognize three
new models for affiliated Wikimedia groups, and expand the mandate of
Chapcom to cover these new models.

* "Organizational best practices" and "committee standards" are
general best-practices documents that also are related to
recommendations from the movement roles group; these are documents
that we asked the Board audit committee and the Board governance
committee respectively to develop.

* "Board governance committee charter" and "Amendment to Chapter
Committee Rules of Procedure" both relate to creating or amending
committee governing documents. The BGC is an internal board committee
that deals with board appointments and evaluation; the chapter
committee amendments update and clarify the procedure for appointing
new chapters committee members.

* "Funds Dissemination Committee" asks the WMF executive director to
set up a community-led funds dissemination committee structure for
making decisions on movement-wide project funds allocations.
"Fundraising 2012" is about chapter "payment-processing", i.e. chapter
handling of donations to the Wikimedia project sites, and asks that
only the four chapters who are currently payment-processing be allowed
to do so until 2016. These recommendations are the conclusion to our
lengthy discussion this year and last about fundraising, and are in
response to the ED's recommendations on the subject.

* And, lastly, "Board of Trustees Voting Transparency" asks that the
name of trustees be published with their votes in formal resolution
votes.

Please don't hesitate to ask me or us if you have questions about these.

best,
Phoebe
(2011-12 WMF Board secretary)

<at> gmail.com *