[Foundation-l] Friendliness (was: Missing Wikipedians: An Essay)

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 23:27:38 UTC 2011

In a message dated 2/25/2011 3:12:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jayvdb at gmail.com writes:

> At the moment, we need admins who press buttons more than we need to
> welcome new users.  It is unfortunate, but that is how it is.
> We need to find ways of reducing the amount of work needed, or
> radically increase the number of admins. >>

I have to respectfully disagree with John.

IMHO we need a more welcoming environment to new editors.

The idea that the vast majority of new contributors contribute nonsense, or
vandalize is in my opinion, not a well-founded claim.

I would agree with a statement like the vast majority of new contributors
don't really understand the now-Byzantine rule system in place, which is a
completely different situation.

I also agree that our templates make the I.R.S. appear friendly, and that
our user outreach is close to non-existent.
Whatever happened to the "Please Come Back" campaign which was seemingly
moribund before even getting launched ?

It's fine to say nothing's wrong as the Titanic sinks, but it's still
sinking.