[Foundation-l] Towards actual clean-up...

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Sun May 9 23:27:40 UTC 2010

Many people have generally agreed that there are or have been a large
number of redundant, low-quality penis pics on Commons.

Towards understanding this better, I wrote a script to traverse
[[:Category:Human genitalia]] and all of it's subcategories (it is
refreshingly finite).

In this category we have 772 images of male and female genitalia.
Most appear to photographs, though some are illustrations or other
art.

For each image, I then determined whether it was in use in the main
namespace of any Wikimedia project.  Of the 772 genitalia images, 347
are currently being used to illustrate some page in the main namespace
of some project.  (That's still a lot of penis / vulva pics but I'll
assume that the projects are at least somewhat reasonable about their
uses.)

The remaining 425 images aren't used in the main namespace of any
project.  They may still appear in other places, such as discussion
pages or user pages, but are likely to be less valuable.  I would
assume it is images like these that are most likely to warrant
exclusion by any policy that aims to address the proliferation of
low-quality and redundant penis pics.  Perhaps by looking at this list
one can get an idea of what the issue is and consider the best ways to
address it.

I've compiled the list at:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:List_of_genitalia_for_review

(There are actually only 411 on the list, as I dropped 14 after my
editor mangled the UTF8).

-Robert Rohde