[Foundation-l] 2010-11 Annual Plan Now Posted to Foundation Website

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 07:48:13 UTC 2010

Hoi,
When you consider the source of much of the donations, you will find that
they have been coming mainly from the United States. Chapters are becoming
more and more active in fundraising. The Dutch chapter for instance plans on
professionalising its operations and fundraising staff has the highest
priority. It performed much better, one of the reasons is that IDEAL, a
payment method for the Internet in the Netherlands, was implemented. I am
sure that with increased support from the WMF not only but also the Dutch
will raise substantially more money this time around.

When you ask for an endowment, you indicate an opinion that the current
levels of support for our projects suffice. I do not share that opinion and,
I am happy to find indications in the planning that this opinion is
supported in the plans for 2010/11. Milos and myself will talk in Gdansk
about the need to improve technical support for our smallest projects (think
Hindi, Malayalam... hundreds of million people will benefit..). Some of it
is hard core language support and some are changes to operating projects in
order to raise traffic and usability for readers.

The WMF has defined in its strategy that certain types of activity are left
to the chapters. GLAM related activities come to mind. This means that the
chapters will seek funding for exactly such projects. In the case of the
Dutch chapter a project is planned about monuments and a GLAM conference is
also in the planning stages.

What I am also looking for is improved support for projects like the recent
Indonesian contest. They have set the standard for a competition involving
universities. They doubled the number of active editors and 60% of them is
female. This is the kind of ratio that compares well with the division of
the genders in universities in Indonesia. This project only involved
universities in Djakarta, next year could be a national competition.. When
you consider that the Indonesian Wikipedias are among the fastest growing
projects, I would even consider this a strategic choice.

If there is one thing that I find problematic, it is that the WMF office can
be observed to operate a dual role; it is the world wide office for the
Wikimedia Foundation and it behaves very much like a chapter. If there is
one thing I would appreciate it would be if these two activities are
separated. This would imho be best realised with the creation of an USA
chapter.
Thanks,
      GerardM