[Foundation-l] ASCAP comes out against "copyleft"

Jeffrey Peters 17peters at cardinalmail.cua.edu
Sat Jun 26 00:05:05 UTC 2010

Dear Liam Wyatt,

Reread my previous emails. I have made it clear that the law that is being
discussed and being promoted by the ASCAP is a law that would terminate the
internet access of repeat piracy offenders. The only reason why CC et al are
involved are through the political advocacy of their creators, most of who
were proponents of the P2P piracy and other actions (as you can see from the
WSJ article by the CC head).

It has nothing to do with the actual CC licenses as only illegal reuses
would be affected.

And "freeculture" is not piracy, just like charity is not theft. Those like
myself produce tons of free content that is intended to be free. We have the
right not to be associated with law breakers and criminals who steal from
those who do not wish their material to be free. Furthermore, since those
like myself are academics in nature, we cannot have our material tainted by
piracy and the rest, as it would undermine any credibility the material has.

That is why Wikipedia et al takes a hardline stance against copyvios.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Peters
aka Ottava Rima