[Foundation-l] ASCAP comes out against "copyleft"

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Fri Jun 25 23:56:58 UTC 2010

Jeffrey Peters wrote:
> Dear Michael,
>
> I find it problematic that you suggest that yourself or the Foundation would
> speak out against this, when the law in question is about terminating the
> access to those who have been caught pirating material in violation of set
> copyright multiple times.

Jeffrey, it seems the underlying article has confused you about the
relationship between the fundraising campaign and actual lawmaking.
That's not entirely your fault, since the writer threw in some filler
about the activity of an administrative agency, apparently because this
tangent gave him an opportunity to link to his previous reporting.
However, just because I would be willing to defend copyleft and support
Creative Commons, it doesn't mean I have taken any position about a
proposal, which is not yet law as far as I know, and apparently was not
pushed in a strategic plan produced by an Obama administration
executive, who is not an elected official and cannot legally accept
contributions, but happened to produce this plan a day before the
fundraising letter in question, which curiously does not say anything
about what I have just mentioned except the first part involving
copyleft and Creative Commons. I think the length of that sentence ought
to illustrate just how tenuous the connection is.

--Michael Snow