[Foundation-l] Creating articles in small wikipedias based on user requirement

Excirial wp.excirial at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 20:25:13 UTC 2010

Such a tool should, from my inexpert view, not be to difficult to implement
as most of the required information is already publicly available trough
Squid logs. For example, http://stats.grok.se is a tool which shows the
amount of page requests that were made for a specific page (Currently used
for enwiki's DYKSTATS <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:DYKSTATS>).
Its currently supported range is 2007-today, which would allow for immediate
historical searches as well. I believe that the tool also tracks requests
for non distant pages, as the redlink
page<http://stats.grok.se/en/201005/redlink>shows one or two hits
every day, even though it is non existent. Since all
the raw data seems already available i presume the only required
modification would be a cross reference with the created pages list to
filter already made pages, along with an output method that generates a list
of most accessed redlinks.

Note that there may be some issues with this method. I believe that
requesting a page twice from the same IP will result in two requests being
counted (Thus the actual amount of people looking at the page may be less).
Even so i believe this is as accurate as things will become, since the
privacy policy will likely forbid the inclusion of IP related data. it may
be worth looking into this; Perhaps
user:hendrik<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Henrik>(The tools
creator) would be willing to assist with this issue. It may be
worth the attempt to ask it.

~Excirial

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Sage Ross
<ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com<ragesoss%2Bwikipedia at gmail.com>