[Foundation-l] Creating articles in small wikipedias based on user requirement

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 18:39:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Shiju Alex <shijualexonline at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Some feature is required in the MediaWiki software that enable us to see a
> list of keywords used most frequently by the users to search for non-exist
> articles. If we get such a list then some users like him can concentrate on
> creating articles using that key words.
>
> Of course, I know that this feature may not be helpful for big wikis like
> English. But for small wikis (especially small non-Latin language wikis),
> this will be of great help. It is almost like* creating wiki articles based
> on user requirement*.

Actually, this kind of tool is very helpful for big wikis as well.  We
had some manually-updated data for English Wikipedia in past years,
and it revealed some interesting things, especially in terms of needed
redirects, where people were searching for an article that exists but
didn't have quite the right name for it.  Many of these terms were
getting hundreds of hits per day.

Making such data more easily available for all projects would be a
great boon, I think.

-Sage