[Foundation-l] Announcement - Public Policy Initiative Team joins WMF

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Thu Jun 10 07:51:09 UTC 2010

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 02:41:42 -0500, Keegan Peterzell
<keegan.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a pilot program for extending the educational purpose of the
WMF.
>  Not speaking for the staff, but I assume a primary reason is that is
>  funded
> by a grant that will require travel for a lot of the staff for the
program,
> so there's a money issue.  Shuttling people across the country for a
year
> and putting them up is pricey, doubly so world wide.  The program, as
> mentioned, is a pilot and if successful in this it can be ported
worldwide.
>  The WMF will be tracking this effort and will scale for future
>  development.

If this is the funding issue (a selective grant) then of course I can
understand it. But otherwise it is difficult for me to appreciate that all
four staff members for this program are tied to the US. At least one of
them could have been deployed in France or Argentina, for example.

Cheers
Yaroslav