[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 16:31:00 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "change it back if people complain loudly".  It means someone who
>> happens to be in charge of making the decision needs to make a
>> judgment call, based on all the evidence they have available.
>
> Aryeh, I was under the (apparently mistaken?) impression that at
> Wikipedia, the community makes the decisions, something like this:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mexico.Chis.EZLN.01.jpg
>
> I have seen a chorus of voices against this change, many have
> presented good, coherent arguments (despite your claim to the
> contrary). The community has spoken and continues speaking.
>
> m.
>
> ___________________

The counterargument goes along these lines
1) the complains are just because somethign is changed
  (the fact that this was used the other way "if there weren't
interwikis, adding them would cause complain" proves it's really not
an argument for or against something, and definitely it is not a way
to argue removing them is the proper course of action
2) The interwikis were not really frequantly used, so removing them
isn't that harmful (which is not an argument **for** removing it's an
argument about situation now not being as bad as it could be)
3) decision was made by "experts" (usability team) and they know
better than community about what a non-regular user needs.