[Foundation-l] Template Overkill

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 15:50:13 UTC 2010

On 30 December 2010 08:55, Stephanie Daugherty <sdaugherty at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any solution that calls for endless templates is a bad one socially as
> well as technically, and at the point where you even consider
> something on that scale you should probably be consulting developers
> for a better way
> This goes for other cases too. While we dont need to be bothering the
> devs for every little thing, overloading the template system to get
> around shortcomings in mediawiki is a pretty good sign that a better
> way can or should exist.

And there you've hit the nail on the head. People do everything in
templates because of a shortage of developers, a terrible shortage of
code reviewers, and the near-impossibility of getting someone to write
new features that aren't for Wikipedia.

Before frustrating people by trying to block off template creation,
think where the effort would then come out. Assuming the voilunteers
don't just get up and leave, of course.

- d.