[Foundation-l] Wiki[p/m]edia

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Fri Dec 10 17:24:49 UTC 2010

I also think that it is worth considering and that it's not a suicide,
although other opinions are welcome.

I am mostly active in Wikipedia, but i am also quite active in
Wikisource and Commons. I wouldn't be offended if Wikisource's name
would change. When i talk about my biggest Wikisource project -
Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar - i usually say that i do it in a "project
affiliated with Wikipedia". I always do mention the name "Wikisource",
but most people don't recognize it.

As for Commons - I would love to see it branded and marketed as a
sophisticated competitor to Flickr and commercial stock photo
agencies, but until that happens, most of us will probably think of it
as the image repository for Wikipedia and the other projects and the
general public doesn't even know it exists, even though everybody sees
these images every day.