[Foundation-l] Brazilian Portuguese Wikipedia

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Wed Dec 8 13:14:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 22:23:55 +0000, Béria Lima <berialima at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not very friendly to go with your first message. But let's try again in
> more polite way:
>
> We have bot articles? Yes we have, several bots create most of citys of
> France and some of Spain, German and Russia in Portuguese Wikipédia. but
> no
> one of those bots works anymore since 2007-2008. From now on, all
articles
> are create by people. If they are big or not, i don't know, but we only
ask
> for all article have a source. So if you create a article like "Brazil
is a
> country of South America" with a source, your article would be kept.
>
> I understand you when you said that we could delete those articles, but
> think that little information is better than no information at all. That
is
> what we normally think in portuguese wikipedia.
>
> And about the problem of be the number 1, 2, 3 or 405: Our community
really
> do not care about it in general. Of course some guys have the "number
> fever"
> and like to know we are the 9º (or 10º - i don't know) largest
wikipedia.
> But the rest of us if cool with that.
>
> Sorry the other mail, i'm a little rude at times.
> _____

I also apologize, I probably overreacted.

The examples of the bot-generated articles I gave in my first message are
actually very recent - asteroids from yesterday, insects from a couple of
days ago, and the creation of such articles (insect articles contain the
infobox, sources and exactly one line "A is an insect from the genus B")
has greatly intensified in the last couple of weeks, when one user promised
to "never let Russians come closer that 5K articles". Not that I care so
much, since Russian Wikipedia clearly opted for quality, and even our
bot-generated articles typically get manually checked, but I thought this
could deserve the attention of the pt.wp community. I personally do not
care whether we are #8, #9 or #10 as soon as the quality is ok although
there are of course editors on ru.wp who are counting articles every half
an hour. My direct interest is actually that pt.wp grows in quality, so
that I can get information from there which is absent in other Wikipedias.
And also of course it would make no sense to delete articles already
created.

Cheers
Yaroslav