[Foundation-l] en.WP dysfunction (was: A letter to Wikipedia collides with the non-free content policies)

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 14:07:48 UTC 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 10:47 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not really. While non-English posts are welcome, they are
> understandably rare and responses to them even rarer.

Agreed.

> The large non-English projects are large enough to get by on their own, and it's
> easier to do so than to discuss the matters here in English.

Oh wait. As an English Wikiquote admin, I tend to disagree.
Wiktionary, Wikibooks, Wikinews, Wikisource ... while we may argue if
they are "large", but at least three of them are ranked within 5,000
in Alexa. But I can hardly recall an issue, which is related to one of
those particularly, was discussed here. Wiktionary logo issue may be
mentioned, but it is no English Wiktionary local issue, rather
Wiktionary as a whole.

So it is not only a language issue: I admit (lack of) language barrier
may be a factor but it doesn't explain why other English project
issues are rarely raised here. Are they still small and sort of
Arcadia? Hmmm hope so but sadly I say no. It is still small and cozy
but not far from any painful disputes. And some would be legal issues.

> The  English projects could get by on their own if they had to, but it's
> easy to come here for clarification on certain issues, so why not do
> so? Smaller projects sometimes can't get by on their own, and have no
> choice but to come here.
> It makes perfect sense that foundation-l is dominated by English
> projects with most of the rest being from small projects (in addition
> to the stuff concerning all projects, of course).

Sorry I faild to see this logic ... specially for English Wikipedia,
which has its own mailinglist.

--
KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)