[Foundation-l] clarifications about Kaltura licensing and commitment to open source

Shay David shay.david at kaltura.com
Thu Jan 17 23:55:12 UTC 2008

hi everybody

thanks for the discussion below. I wanted to make a few short clarifications.

first, thanks for the friendly reminder about the lack of proper citations on
our demo wiki. it was an oversight, that has now been corrected.

kaltura always was and remains fully committed to open source and open
standards, and one of its main goals in this partnership is to enable Wikipedia
and other wiki's around the world with an essential tool for multimedia
collaboration that has been lacking.

doing so, however, is complicated and requires scafolding as the new body of
code is built. as pointed out below, we are in the process of building a GNASH
based solution that will replace Adobe's closed source flash. Unfortunately,
GNASH is not ready for prime-time yet, but we hope it will be soon. We encourage
developers to help us convert our GPL'ed ActionScript code so that it can run on
GNASH. In fact, one of the main points of this beta program is to get support
for this exact matter.

we welcome any additional feedback and constructive criticism on
http://www.kaltura.com/devwiki/index.php/Feedback_Page

kind regards,

Shay David
CTO, Kaltura Inc.