[Foundation-l] Localisation of MediaWiki

Jesse Martin (Pathoschild) pathoschild at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 21:25:32 UTC 2008

Hello,

GerardM and I had a long phone conference about localization
requirements, and we've reached a consensus.

Cormac raises a valid concern about the difficulty of localization
alongside all the other tasks of opening a new wiki, but the new
requirements actually mean less work is needed for the first project.
The previous requirements called for the translation of around 1400
messages for the first wiki, and around 200 messages for the second
wiki. The new requirements only call for the translation of 500
messages for the first wiki, and 1700 before the second wiki is
approved (by which time many messages have usually been translated
over time by the first wiki's community).

Even though the new requirements include all extension used by
Wikimedia wikis, this is redistributed so that the difficulty of
opening the first wiki is reduced, and localization can be done slowly
over time until the second project instead of in a huge one-time
batch.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Martin (Pathoschild)