[Foundation-l] Localisation of MediaWiki

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 07:26:27 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Several members of the language committee are extremely unhappy with
Pathoschild's sorry show of doing this on his own accord. They have
indicated that they will block final approval for any project by going back
on this necessary part of the policy.

Again, there are two parts to the policy.
* When a language is starting it only needs to do the most used messages of
MediaWiki. This provides basic support for a language.
* When a project request is a subsequent project for a language, all
MediaWiki messages and the messages of the extension used by the WMF are
required.

Localisation is a continuous process and it is for this reason that
continuous care needs to be taken. When for instance new functionality like
Single User Login
(SingleAuth<http://translatewiki.net/wiki/User:GerardM/ExtensionStats>)
goes life, it is important that people understand what is happening. It has
already been fully localised for 22 languages. MediaWiki is developing
continuously and as a consequence there is a need to keep the localisation
up to date.

It is exactly for languages that use a different script that it is vital
that the localisation is done completely. For these languages there is no
chance that the English word is the same or similar.

MediaWiki is an integral part of how we provide our information. It needs as
much tender loving care as we give to our content. MediaWiki receives a lot
of tender loving care from the developers. We can show our appreciation by
making sure that their software is properly understood and appreciated by
all its users not only for the people that know English and get everything
by default.

Thanks,
    GerardM