[Foundation-l] Localisation of MediaWiki

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 19:34:38 UTC 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 4:10 AM, Jesse Martin (Pathoschild)
<pathoschild at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> All requests are treated in the exact same way, with no discrimination
> or exception. The Spanish project was created before the language
> subcommittee existed, so it was obviously not subjected to the same
> rules.

I understand about Spanish Wikiverisity.
But you didn't give the explanation why you set up Greek Wikiversity
whose localization was less processed (and still now) than Japanese
Wikiversity. So I think my argument on inequity is still valid.

For this issue, I would rather like Language Community to response,
not its committee member who are however speaking on an individual
basis.

> This is also why the Japanese wikis now exist without localization,
> but they would need to do it anyway! Were their wiki created now, they
> would have a partially English interface and need to translate it
> locally; then the next wiki would need to do it again. Translating the
> localization files saves work and time later, and allows Japanese
> editors to use a Japanese interface on any wiki.

That was exactly what I/we did on several Japanese wikis: for me
Japanese Wikiquote and later Japanese Wikinews.

> Marco brings up one wiki that flourished without meeting these
> requirements (it predates them), but I can give a very large number of
> examples of projects that *didn't* flourish.

As such a person I would give you two examples of inactive wikis with
full localization at a certain moment which anyway didn't help them
per se. I don't oppose the possibility there are any relevancy between
project activity and localization but strongly doubt there is any
consequence. Through my experience, if a project become active or not
is rather a user population issue (i.e. they get a community or not)
and not localization issue.

Cheers,

--
KIZU Naoko