[Foundation-l] Localisation of MediaWiki

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 18:42:38 UTC 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 3:05 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> It is not surprising .. It is what we hope for.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM

Sorry your answer doesn't answer what Marco pointed out I am afraid.
You argued the project needs the full localization or to some extent
and he brought the opposite examples. So your preposition is
challenged. "It is what we hope for." is no logical counterpart in
this line.

And still you give no good reason why you treat Japanese and Spanish
differently and apply them double-standards: To Spanish, a lighter
one, and to Japanese, a severer one.

> On Jan 13, 2008 5:51 PM, Marco Chiesa <chiesa.marco at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Gerard Meijssen ha scritto:
> > > Hoi,
> > > I agree that it is unfair. I am asking others to help with the
> > localisation.
> > > I do ask the Spanish Wikimedians to do the localisation for their
> > language.
> > >
> > > Where I disagree is that it is unreasonable to require the full
> > localisation
> > > for any subsequent project to start. It is one of the few mechanisms
> > that
> > > the language committee has to ensure that projects in a language will be
> > > success. We require localisation and we require sufficient quality
> > content
> > > and sufficient activity so that we can prevent the failure of the many
> > > projects we have seen in the past. When the localisation is done and the
> > > project fails anyway there is at least something to show for the effort.
> > >
> > > For another second project, one with little or no localisation, we got
> > the
> > > complaint that there may be no people that CAN do the localisation. The
> > > person indicated that he is only a level-1 speaker of the language ...
> > what
> > > I ask myself is what the quality of the existing project is.
> > >
> > > In a perfect world the localisation of MediaWiki is continuously
> > maintained.
> > > In this way a new project does not have to put effort to fulfill this
> > > requirement. Some languages like Arab, Farsi, Dutch, Croat, Slovak,
> > Upper
> > > Sorbian to name only a few it is a perfect world.
> > > Thanks,
> > >       GerardM
> > >

> > Well, it just appears that the Japanese or the Spanish Wikipedia have
> > managed to become a successful project without a complete localisation.
> > Very surprising, indeed!
> >
> > Cruccone

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)