[Foundation-l] Bunners at the bottom of every page

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 17:25:09 UTC 2008

> -There is no community to form to initiate an RfA of some type for another
> admin

This is the bit I don't get. You mention the admin being abusive to
members of the community, yet say there is no community. The amount of
community required to make a new admin on a small project is tiny. One
person willing to do it, one person supporting them and no-one (other
than the rogue admin) objecting is all that should be required to get
a steward to promote. It seems like there is enough of a community for
that.

> There are longer term questions that will have to be dealt with by someone
> other than us:
> -How does one reconstitute a community that's had a crisis of confidence?
> -How do we locate someone in a fractured community to give the sysop bit to
> when reasonable people may have been run-off from the project?

The other Russian projects might be able to help. Put a notice
somewhere on ruwiki, say, telling people that this project needs fresh
blood, and hopefully a handful of people will take up the challenge.
It only needs 3 or 4 people, really.

> -How do we keep it from happening again?

Strongly discourage projects having only one admin. I wouldn't ban it
completely, as someone suggested earlier, since that would stop one
person being able to found a new project, but once a community reaches
a reasonable size to have multiple admins, it should do so. Perhaps we
should have a central policy on choosing admins for small projects.
Something like: On any project with fewer than 3 active admins
(defined as having used admin tools in the last month), anyone wishing
to become an admin can do so by creating a page linked to from the
village pump (or equivalent) and if, after a week of voting, there is
a simply majority in favour (anyone with more than 50 edits on the
project can vote, sockpuppets are discounted), they can go to the
stewards and get promoted.

At the moment, each project has it's own system for appointing admins,
which makes it very difficult for small projects to get new admins,
since they first have to develop a consensus on how to do it. Imposing
a central method on small projects would remove that hurdle.