[Foundation-l] Bunners at the bottom of every page

Philippe Beaudette philippebeaudette at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 17:07:17 UTC 2008

OK, so - I often find it's helpful to me to write out the situation as we
know it and pray it sparks a brainstorm in someone else.  If this is helpful
to you, read on.  If not, please feel free to skip this post and move on.
And please forgive the long-ish post...:

The facts as we know them are:
-There's one admin on a small project.
-There is no community to form to initiate an RfA of some type for another
admin
-The extant admin had a bit of a hissy fit when there was a community
request to de-admin, which resulted in the initiator being banned (what
further circumstances were there?  Did the initiator honestly DO something
to get banned?  Or was the ban over just this request to de-admin?)
-The admin has manipulated - in an unacceptable way - the MediaWiki
interface.
-The admin is - at least in translations we've been supplied (not that I
doubt them, because I don't - but I don't know if there are explanations
somewhere or bad translations, etc - I'd feel more secure if I could read
Russian for myself, but I can't so....) abusive to other members of the
community and the Foundation.

Given those facts:
-There's no question in my mind that the admin needs to go, but we really
don't have a mechanism in place to do it, although an RFC on Meta has been
suggested (which seems sensible to me provided that it can be appropriately
advertised so that community members - past and present - can comment on
it).
-How do we handle this in as peaceful a manner as possible, while asserting
the larger Community's role in the success or failure of this small project?
That is, how do we handle our moral responsibility to do as little damage as
possible in dealing with this project while trying to judge from the outside
what the right steps are?  And, in addition to that, how do we avoid
sparking a larger conflict with someone who surely feels his world has been
shattered - just a little bit - but the very large magnifying glass of
foundation-l, which has just turned itself on "his" project?

There are longer term questions that will have to be dealt with by someone
other than us:
-How does one reconstitute a community that's had a crisis of confidence?
-How do we locate someone in a fractured community to give the sysop bit to
when reasonable people may have been run-off from the project?
-How do we keep it from happening again?

Philippe