[Foundation-l] Commons reuse FAQ updated

Rory Stolzenberg rory096 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 22:05:39 UTC 2006

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia
>
> I've tweaked this and filled it out a bit. It's hard writing about
> legal issues in very simple grammar; I'd like juriwiki-l in particular
> to look over this and check that I haven't oversimplified,
> particularly in the "how to comply with this licence" sections.
>
> The only section that hasn't been written yet is content under
> GPL/LGPL - anyone think they can write two simple sentences on how to
> comply with this licence?
>
> It should probably also be merged with the similar page on meta.
>

> - d.

I read the license so I could write this, but I have absolutely no idea what
to write. The entire license is about how you have to distribute the source
code, and http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLOtherThanSoftware says
it has to be "clear what constitutes the "source code" for the work." Since
I can't think of what the source code for images would be, I don't see how
it could even be possible to license images under the GPL (though, of
course, most of the images that are under the GPL are part of free software,
so it doesn't matter if they're being distributed as they're actually
supposed to be distributed instead of being used individually).