[Foundation-l] Česká Aikido Wikipedie

Jan Kulveit jk-wikifound at ks.cz
Wed Nov 22 11:38:35 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 12:10:59PM +0100, habj wrote:
> Is the website called "Česká Aikido Wikipedie" known to the WMF?

most likely not.

> http://www.aikido.cz/wiki/doku.php
> This website is about the Japanese martial art aikido, and is most
> surely run by a private indivudual  who makes no money from it. Still
> I wonder if the WMF objects to other websites using words like
> "Wikipedie" in their names. I must say I reacted quite strongly when I
> saw it.

I would suggest not to react strongly, but use Hanlon's razor: most
likely the site owner thinks wikipedie is synonym of wiki, and is
completely unaware of WMF existence, and any trademark or intellectual
property issues.

Words like... Wikipedi_e_ is the word for Wikipedia in Czech (from
wiki+encykopedie), see cs:

The confusion is quite common in Czechia - even many journalists know just
about Wikipedia, not wikis in general, so when they write about some
wiki, they use terms like "version of Wikipedia" where "wiki" should go.

Proposed solution: I'll write a letter in Czech to the site owner,
explaining the situation politely.

Jan Kulveit ([[User:Wikimol]])