[Foundation-l] Quick thoughts on fundraising

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue Sep 28 13:32:33 UTC 2004

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:
> I just wanted to add that I like all of Erik's ideas.

Indeed.

One thing he didn't focus on is our writing style.  I find that we are
frequently way too wordy and NPOV in our own marketing efforts.  I'm
not suggesting that we go overboard with garishness, etc., but we
should recognize that many or most donations will be "impulse
purchases" and to inspire that, an emotional connection is best.

If we go back and read my "open letter" for our first ever fundraiser,
it was a fairly emotional appeal.  (I can't actually find it online
right now, did it get lost?)

--Jimbo