[Foundation-l] The Wikimedia Foundation is not the WMF

Angela_ beesley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 18:41:55 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:07:03 -0400, Sj <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Although you should check your final result against the current revision
> on WMF.org, in case there have been last-minute changes)

I would like to request that everyone stops using the abbreviation WMF
to refer to the Wikimedia Foundation. We do not own the domain name
WMF.org and it is not likely we ever will. If people make the effort
not to use it, it will reduce confusion and misdirected traffic.

Although I quote Sj above, this is in no way directed only at him.
It's bad enough that we don't own wikimedia.com that I think efforts
should be made to prevent even more links to sites that are not really
us.

Thanks.

Angela