[Foundation-l] Re: create new function; domain name administrator

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Thu Sep 16 09:28:08 UTC 2004

Sj <2.718281828 at ...> writes:

> Support.
>
> This is not at all an easy job; work will need to be done to scale the
> paperwork and synchronize regular deadlines.  I am glad that Walter is
> even considering doing this.

I have been owner of several domains. I did not have the impression it is very
complicated or difficult. The most important thing is to not forget witch
registrator you have used, the password of it. And to renew it on time.

The domains wikipedia.ca and wikipedia.us are squatted long after the where
listed on http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Domain_names for a long time. This is
because of the absence of a domain name administrator.

I know Branko Collin is now attempting to transfer wikipedia.nl to Wikimedia. I
have also a domain to transfer. And I hope that it is not forgotten to renew
wikipedia.be, a domain I earlier have hand over to Wikimedia.

I am pesimistic about the current way of dealing whit this. There is need of
more internal organisation about who does what and clear contact persons. Most
Wiki's or even the Wikimedia Foundation does not have a clear way of contact
like for example the Dutch and German wiki.

I will be offline for 2 weeks. It is time for my annual internet-
disintoxication.

Greetings,
Walter Vermeir