[Foundation-l] create new function; domain name administrator

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 20:17:31 UTC 2004

--- Walter Vermeir <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote:

> There are a lot of domain names for all the Wikimedia projects. Some are the
> property of Wikimedia, some of friends of Wikimedia.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Domain_names
>
> I have the impression that the dealing of requests regarding domains is done
> ad hoc by diffrent people.
>
> To make sure that the overview is not lost, the usernames and passwords for
> those domains, it is not forgotten to renew domains, to be a contact person
> for friends of Wikimedia who are willing to transfer a domain and for
> requests for buying new domains,  it would be good if there where one person
> responsible.

I was doing this for the 8 or so domain names I bought for the foundation but
one day my password didn't work anymore. My request to Jimbo asking for the
password to my GoDaddy account was never acted upon (there are several domain
names controlled by that account that are not yet owned by the foundation -
such as Wikiveristy.org and WikiGIS.org). I'm sure this was just an oversight
since my password was near impossible to remember.

-- mav